When we go to work, we never expect to be involved in or witness work accidents or to receive workers compensation because of injuries. We can take necessary steps to avoid work accidents by being aware of our surroundings and looking out for coworkers. The number of work accidents in Australia will surprise most people. Job-related work accidents can happen in any line of employment. No one wants to end up in a work accident, so everyone has a joint responsibility to keep the workplace safe and secure for all, especially you as an employer. In a construction site workplace, you need to establish a good safety shower testing standard that suits the normal eye wash station Australian standards mandated by the governing bodies. Earning a Cert IV environmental management certificate for your workplace is one thing to look forward to for building your firm’s reputation. However, it is not that simple. Cooperation should be present for the firm to attain full security.
This article tackles some of the common workplace safety tips to keep everyone safe inside the construction site.
Here are some things to keep in mind while preparing an action plan for all types of workplace emergency drills and safety shower testing:
- It is vital to train employees on the evacuation drill and the safety shower testing purpose and procedures, therefore a proper training program must be put in place.
- Ensure all safety equipment like emergency shower and eyewash areas, like fire extinguishers, water sprinklers, and emergency alarms are in place and are functioning properly. Also, ensure that the mechanism of stopping the elevators of building to work in case of emergency is in place.
- To conduct a successful evacuation drill, a dedicated team of employees must be trained and educated to react in specific situations.
- The action plan must include ways of reporting the emergency situations to the suitable authorities.
- Contact details and procedure of person responsible for setting off the emergency alarm should be rolled out.
- The evacuation action plan must include the list of policies and procedures to be followed in case of emergencies.
- Emergency evacuation routes and procedures like floor plans, staircase access, elevators’ functionality, and refugee area, must be detailed out in the action plan.
- The contact information of corporate security personnel, emergency evacuation drill team members, nearest hospital, fire station, and police station should be prepared and rolled out to the employees and management teams.
- Procedures on how to help evacuate disabled people, expecting mothers and aged employees should be clearly called out.
- Procedures for designated employees who remain to shut down labs or critical machine/plant operations, if any should be specified clearly.
- Moreover, the frequency of the drills to be conducted should be planned. Also, it is to be decided if the workplace emergency has to be pre-informed to the employees or whether it has to be a surprise drill. The extent and approach of the drill should be planned to keep in mind the number of employees working at a particular site and the nature of operation of that site.
No matter what types of workplace emergency drills are planned and conducted, the key is to spread awareness of the possible emergency situations amongst the employees and train them accordingly. Remember that it is best to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.